This year a lot of our after school activities are soon after school gets out and they last until dinner time...or beyond. This makes feeding the family healthy meals a bit more of a challenge. It is so easy to get into the habit of running through a drive through or grabbing something real quick. This ends up costing more money and more calories than I want to spend. I have been trying to brainstorm on meals that I can prepare over the weekend that are quick, healthy, and that most of the family will enjoy eating.
I was walking through Costco last week and I saw a very large bag of tortilla chips and had an AHA moment that I'm going to test out this week. I've made a taco dip that the kids can eat with chips and the grown ups can put on top of lettuce to make a taco salad (and maybe dip a chip or two too).
1.5 lb ground beef
appropriate amount of your favorite taco seasoning
sour cream (I got 16 oz container and have some left over)
8oz bag of fiesta blend shredded cheese
1-16 oz can refried beans
salsa (I have an 8 oz jar and have some left over)
small can sliced olives
1. Brown and drain ground beef. Add seasoning following the directions on the package. Let cool.
2. Put refried beans in a medium sized bowl. Add about a cup of salsa. Mix.
3. Put half of the cooled, seasoned ground beef on the bottom of a 9x13 pam (i used my pyrex).
4. Place spoonfuls of the refried bean/salsa mixture on top of the beef, then spread with the back of your spoon.
5. Sprinkle olives over the refried bean/salsa mixture.
6. Place spoonfuls of sour cream all around, spread with the back of your spoon.
7. Use about half of the shredded cheese, sprinkling it evenly over the dish.
8. Add the other half of the ground beef, spreading it out evenly.
9. Add the other half of the shredded cheese evenly over the dish.
Cover and put in the fridge until ready to eat.
When I pull this out of the fridge in a day or two, I plan on putting diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and maybe some more olives on the top. I don't want to do that ahead of time because I don't want it to get mushy and yuck. I also have single servings of guacamole so that those of us who like guacamole can add it to our portion of the dip AND it won't turn brown while it waits for us to eat it!